Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Multi-tasking Mommy

Just wanted to type a quick update. We have had a crazy week of adjustments here at our house! We are more tired than we have ever been and the house has never looked worse; however, we are loving every minute of it. My mom got sick last week so we have been on our own a lot. We have had our in-laws and lots of friends come to help so I can sleep which I greatly appreciate. Thanks to everyone who came and helped out. Good news is that I did one entire day by myself while Adam was at work. This may not sound hard but it really was. It is getting easier as we become better at multi-tasking. This may be too much information but I have now mastered feeding a baby a bottle while pumping!! Not as easy as it sounds but it saves me about twenty minutes, which is priceless and means possibly a little more sleep. But at least I now know that I can manage the two babies by myself. The girls are doing okay. We are still having pooping problems with Renna and Reagan. Renna is having some irregularities but seems to get better eventually and doesn't seem uncomfortable with it. Miss Reagan however, gets really uncomfortable and can't sleep and generally just has a meltdown. Poor little lady. I think she may have some colic as well. Anyways we took her to the doctor for her followup from the NICU and her belly as usual was bloated and she hadn't pooped in four and a half days (even with suppositories)! We discussed her problems with the doctor and we decided to pursue a workup with a Pediatric Gastroenterologist. That appointment is next week. Hopefully he will have some ideas or answers on how to make her a little more comfortable. We are also trying to give some Apple Prune juice to the girls. The doctor suggested this in the middle of their every three hour feedings at least twice a day! Are you kidding? It takes me almost an hour to feed both of them and pump so that gives me less than thirty minutes to clean bottles and get them a juice bottle. After all this they eat again in an hour and then aren't hungry to drink their milk bottles. I have been managing to get one juice bottle down them a day. We will see if that helps for now. The pediatrician also suggested I stop eating dairy to see if this helps. Yikes!! For those of you who know me well you know my favorite food is cheese. I would put cheese on everything. So this is proving hard for me but will be worth it if it helps my little Reagan. I will keep you all posted on the progress. In the mean time no one mention cheese around me...it is amazing how many things have dairy in them when you start thinking about it. Well I must go get back on my schedule...I hope it doesn't seem like I am complaining because I am actually loving all of my time spent at home with my little cowgirls.

4 comments:

  1. The prune juice comment made me laugh. We had to do that for months (he was on large doses of iron). It was horrible. When he spit up it stained everything it touched. The best was when I was multi-tasking (like you) at Hobby Lobby a woman stopped me to lecture me about giving my 3 month old coca cola. Good luck. Melanie Aichele

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad things are going well! I can't imagine having twins - I just have one & can't get anything done! It has made me more efficient @ doing things when I have a few moments. I have a friend that had to stop eating dairy & it helped a ton, I hope the same happens for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Mendy! You're a Mommy Rockstar! So impressed! Hope the belly problems get better-that's such a helpless feeling when you can't make them any better. = (

    ReplyDelete
  4. One baby was a handful, I can't imagine two! But I'm glad they're home and it sounds like you are handling things as well as possible. Hope the bathroom issues resolve soon.

    ReplyDelete