Thursday, July 2, 2009

3 Weeks Old!

We can't believe our little miracle babies are three weeks old today! They are doing so well. First I must tell how big they are. Renna is a whopping 3lbs. 11oz, or so they say. Adam and I are a little skeptical since on Monday before surgery she weighed 3lbs. 1oz., we think there may be a lot of error with all of her new gadgets and edema. Reagan has also jumped up in her weight, she has now surpassed her birthweight (yeah) and weighs 2lbs. 14oz. We are very pleased with both of their progresses. Renna is doing well, she didn't have much change yesterday, but is making some strides today. She did get her chest tube pulled around noon today. She must feel better having this out, it looked very uncomfortable. They also turned down her ventilator rate, which basically means they are giving her less breaths. They also began weaning her off of her pain medication. As if all that wasn't enough they are increasing her milk feedings and decreasing her IV nutrition to try and get her back to where she was. She is having a little trouble with her tummy as she hasn't been able to poop since surgery, she got a suppository today but no luck yet. Hopefully things will begin moving through tomorrow. Poor little girl, as if she didn't have enough problems. We did recieve great news today, her heart murmur is totally gone now! What an answered prayer! God continues to be so good to us. Renna seems a little more aware of us today as she is getting less "doped up". It is so wonderful to see her little eyes again. We absolutely can't wait to get her off the ventilator so we can hold our little cowgirl again. Reagan continues to do great. She is obviously gaining weight and they are increasing her milk feedings as well. She continues to literally migrate around her incubator to move where she is more comfortable. It really is shocking how much strength she has for such a little skinny girl. She is going to be a little escape artist. She may be catching Renna in size before long as well. Overall, we had a great day so I decided I was ready to make my first trip home. Yes you read correctly, I had not been home to our house since we made the mad dash to the hospital three weeks ago! I have been staying here at the hospital hotel to be close to the girls and be present to hold them and do the kangaroo times. Kangaroo time is when we get to hold the girls skin on skin, it is my favorite time of the day! So wonderful but the one hour goes so fast! Anyways I decided since Adam was going to work on the second crib I would go home too. So Adam worked on the crib and putting our glider together (thanks Grandma and Papa) while I got some work done on organizing and putting away shower gifts in the nursery (thanks for the help Grammy). It was very bittersweet being back home. Adam had told me it doesn't feel the same anymore without me and the girls there. So when I got home I found that to be very true. It is just that our whole lives have changed so drastically and now we don't feel complete without the girls. It was sad being in the nursery but fun to see the gifts from my showers and start putting some things away. Adam and I have been laughing now about how unimportant things like painting the nursery and decorating have now become. All we want is for our little girls to be home and be healthy...who cares what color the nursery is. I really like khaki walls anyways! We are just excited about the three week milestone. Hopefully only another month or so and they can come home.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear of all the great progress!! That feeling of missing your girls when you are home without them never goes away. Even when they go visit the grandparents you will always feel like your home is missing something!! They have your heart forever now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO excited about the girls' progress. They are doing so well and in no time at all, you'll get to take them home. Hang in there and know that this will get better every day!!! You are such a tough person and I'm so lucky to have you in my life...

    ReplyDelete